Thursday, August 21, 2008

Green Queen


For those of you who’ve wondered why I’ve been MIA for as long as I have; I’ve been working on bigger and better things. Better for the environment, that is.


Actuate held its annual user conference in Vegas earlier this month, and with that comes long hours, busy schedules and travel which I usually dread. This year, however, it was all fun for me. Given my 'greenness' my manager gave me a huge project to handle, launch a new green solution - Actuate for Sustainability Management.


For those unfamiliar with what sustainability means, let’s just say it has got to do with getting organizations to become aware of their impact to the environment and reforming the way in which they do business to become more environmentally responsible. (Phew!)

Sound familiar?


That should give you an idea of how much fun I had with this thing. I designed a demo around sustainability, worked with our performance management group to identify KPI's and metrics that organizations can track, and came up with an easy enough solution for them to be up and running in a matter of days.


I also got to do other pretty fun things, such as identify areas where Actuate we could be greener at the conference, design a canvas bag to give away instead of the usual plastic, and make all our material recyclable.


And, I get to keep the title of Green Queen @work. Man, I love my job.


No comments: